Student visa guidelines

All foreign students (except Permanent Residents of Malaysia or holders of the Residence Pass, who are exempted) are required to have either a valid Student Pass or a valid Permission to Study endorsement while studying in Lycee Francais de Kuala Lumpur Henri Fauconnier Berhad (LFKL). In the absence of such a valid Student Pass or Permission to Study endorsement, students who are involved in school trips outside Malaysia without parents accompanying them can face problems at the immigration points of exit/entry.

The student’s passport must be kept valid for the duration of the student’s stay and for travel purposes. Maintaining a valid passport and the appropriate visa for the student is the responsibility of Parents.

LFKL will not accept the passports of students with an expired Social Visa, Special Pass, Dependent Pass, MM2H Visa or Student Pass from a previous school. LFKL will not be held responsible for Parents or Students who overstay in Malaysia, although you may have registered with us. Students with expired visas will be advised to approach the Department of Immigration, Malaysia on their own accord to settle their overstay issues.

Parent or parent’s company representative or authorized agent need to acquire the necessary forms from the Immigration offices and do the submission.


The Permission to Study stamp is an endorsement stamped by the Immigration Department inside the student’s passport, allowing the student to study at LFKL for a defined period of time (as per Dependent Pass validity date).

The Permission to Study is only applicable to children who hold a Dependent Pass (whose parent(s) hold an Employment Pass) in Malaysia and children under MM2H. These children are allowed to study without the need to apply for a Student Pass.

LFKL will issue Permission to Study letter addressed to the respective Immigration Department where the Dependent Pass was issued upon request.


Students who do not have a Dependent Pass/MM2H/Resident Pass, but hold a Social Visit Pass, are required to apply for a Student Pass. Prior to this application, the LFKL HR Office will submit the necessary documents to the Ministry of Education (MOE), Malaysia to obtain the “Letter of Support” for the Student Pass application.

The necessary documents are:

• Parents’ Passports
• Student’s Passport
• Student details form (will be provided)

Age requirement for student pass application:-

• Above 6 years old
• Below 18 years old

Once LFKL has submitted the application to the MOE for a Letter of Support for the Student Pass application, parents are not allowed to submit a similar application through another school as it will create confusion within the MOE and the Department of Immigration, Malaysia, which may result in a delay in the processing of your Student Pass application. The LFKL HR Office will solely be in charge of this application process.

The process at MOE takes four (4) to eight (8) weeks and can be longer during peak periods. For a timely application or extension of the Student Pass, parents need to ensure that:
• student’s current pass has three (3) months validity
• student’s passport must have 1 year validity
• student’s passport has sufficient pages for the Visa endorsement

Once the MOE Approval Letter has arrived at LFKL, HR Office will contact parents for its collection.

For renewal cases, kindly inform HR four (4) months before the expiry of the Student Pass. This is to facilitate the timely extension of your Student Pass application, thus avoiding delays in obtaining the necessary Student Pass endorsement.

If you wish to withdraw your child/ren from LFKL, whether to leave the host country or to transfer to another educational institution locally, please notify HR Office early of your intention. Our HR Office is required by the Department of Immigration, Malaysia to then issue a Letter of Cancellation of Student Pass for the Immigration Department’s necessary action.

It is important for you to be informed that the above course of action is necessary to prevent you from encountering any problem should you re-enter Malaysia at any time in the future. It is also equally important for you to be informed that a Student Pass granted for your child/ren to attend school in one local institution cannot be transferred to another local institution.


Certain family members of student pass holders are allowed to accompany students in Malaysia on a Long Term Social Pass (for the duration of 12 months or according to the duration of studies, whichever comes first).

The types of family members include the following:

• Parents of students, either 1 only
• Legally Court-Appointed Guardians

Parents or Legally Court-Appointed Guardians may submit their Social Pass application to the Department of Immigration, Malaysia, together with their child/ren’s Student Pass application or after the application for the Student Pass has been approved.


Parent or parent’s company representative or authorized agent need to acquire the necessary forms from the Immigration offices and proceed with the submission or cancellation. LFKL will not handle any submission to Immigration on your behalf.

Effective November 2017, the Immigration department require Personal Bond for Guardian Pass applicant which need to be filled by a Malaysian and stamped by the Inland Revenue Department. LFKL will not provide any assistance on this matter as the school will be liable in case of any non-compliance of ordinance by the guardian pass holder. The LFKL can provide you a list of service providers that will help you with your visa procedure. Charges will be borne by parents.

Family Members of student pass holders who are allowed to stay in Malaysia are allowed entry solely at the discretion of the Department of Immigration, Malaysia. LFKL cannot offer advice or guarantee the successful application of any Long Term Social Pass Application.

LFKL is not responsible for the expiry of a student’s Student Pass or Permission to Study stamp. Parents would need to settle their overstay issues with the Immigration Department on their own accord.

LFKL is not liable for any policy change at the Malaysian Immigration Department.